Thursday, January 8, 2009

Oh Happy Day...

Wow, this has been some day! First, we find out that I'm going to be getting promoted to Captain at the end of the month. Now, since I'm a technician and I'm paid for my Monday through Friday job according to the GS pay scale, it won't affect my regular pay (but I will get a bump in my weekend drill pay, since that is a military position). So really the big benefit of it is simply being allowed to wear a rank on my uniform that tells the world that I'm no longer a total idiot (aka a Lieutenant). Now, when people see me coming down the hall or hear my name on the other end of a phone call, they will know that I at least have some experience, that I have handled projects bigger than stocking the squadron snack bar, and that the chances of me completely messing up are reduced by at least ... oh I don't know...15%?? ;) Also, the fact that I will no longer have to salute my own husband is not to be overlooked!

Then, David calls me with the HUGE news that he received his orders to move here, and is scheduled to be packed out on Jan. 20th. So in less than three weeks, my family will be reunited...for good this time. This last separation was nine months long (we haven't lived together since last April), and we are so over it. Couples who get to live together have no idea how much they take for granted all the things that we miss everyday. But no more! No more being separated on birthdays and anniversaries (and regular old Thursdays, for that matter!), no more being forced to give up jobs to follow each other around, no more maintaining two households. From Jan. 25th or so on, when I say "goodnight" to my husband, I won't have to hang up the phone afterwards...when David asks me how the baby is doing, I can say "go see for yourself." Oh happy day...

The only thing that could make this day any better would be if the Gators totally dominate in tonight's National Championship game against the Oklahoma Sooners. So keep your fingers crossed and wish us luck. Wait a minute...what am I thinking?! We don't need luck...we've got TEBOW!! :)

No comments: