Saturday, December 12, 2009

Our Very First Christmas Tree



This is the first Christmas that we will be celebrating in our own house, and we couldn't be more excited. One of the things I have been looking forward to for weeks is picking out our Christmas tree, which we did tonight (as a matter of fact, David is busy getting it set up in the living room right now).
An important thing to note -- I do not do fake trees. This is not a dig at any of my many friends who do. Believe me, I understand the appeal. They are convenient. They are cost-effective. They come pre-lit. I get it.
It's just that, to me, one of the big occasions each Christmas is for the whole family to go down to the tree tent and walk up and down the aisles of trees, debating and overanalyzing the merits and shortcomings of each and finally settling on the first one you said you liked. For me, a lot of the feeling of Christmas comes down to the tree -- hauling it home, setting it up, remembering to water it. The feel, the smell, the way the needles drop all over the place...it just isn't Christmas without it all of that. Somehow, hauling a bunch of green plastic pieces out of the attic, assembling them into a tree and plugging it in just doesn't have the same holiday feel!
Anyway, we picked a great one...about seven feet tall with a beautiful shape. As soon as we get it all set up and decorated, I'll be sure to take pictures and post them. For now, these will have to do!
Sam had a blast...this first one is blurry because I couldn't get him to stop running around long enough for me to snap it!
Tiny man in a forrest...a little ironic that his shirt says "Big Guy" ;)
And he's off!
I love this picture. He just looks so confident...like he's off to start a revolution or change the world or something!
This one was Sam's favorite. It was not the one David and I ended up getting. What can I say...every now and then, you have to re-establish your authority and show 'em who's boss! ;)
Cheesin' for the camera!

No comments: