Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Baby Whisperer

So I am writing this as Samuel is down for a nap -- a scheduled nap in his crib. After six weeks of winging it and just trying to get from sun-up to sun-down with no major meltdowns or incidents requiring hospitalization (for me, that is), David and I have started trying to get Samuel on some semblance of a schedule. My mom sent me a book -- "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" by Tracy Hogg, a nurse and nanny who is to babies what Cesar Milan is to dogs. She advocates getting babies in a "routine" -- not exactly a schedule (since it is more flexible), but something predictable. According to her, babies thrive on predictability (especially "touchy" babies like my little man), and she outlines a four-step routine known as EASY -- with alloted time for eating, activity, sleeping and "you" (meaning ME!).

We started this yesterday, and I must admit that we didn't exactly follow her advice to the letter. After numerous attempts at getting Samuel to go back to sleep in his crib in the middle of the night, I finally broke down out of sheer exhaustion and tucked him into bed with us, which is a HUGE no-no from her standpoint (okay, okay, leave me alone...I'm not proud of it!). Other than that, though, the attempt at getting him in a routine has gone pretty well so far -- I am keeping a log to learn his natural rhythm, and I'm starting to learn how to read some of his "cues" (like how I better get him in a dimly lit, quiet room by his third yawn, or all hell will break loose because he is overtired and overstimulated). Please say a prayer and keep your fingers crossed that we get this schedule thing down before I go back to work -- it would be so wonderful if he were able to get into a routine that allowed him to sleep better through the night by then!

So since I am supposed to be spending my "you" time while he is asleep, I'm going to go and watch some TV or take a power nap or something, but I wanted to fill you all in on what's going on with us! Some new photos are below...enjoy!

What the heck is this pig doing on my wrist?!?! (PS -- it's a rattle)

My little man -- not so little, all stretched out :)

Making a statement!

This is what happens when we try to have "tummy time"!

No comments: