Saturday, February 14, 2009

Here's To Love...

Happy Valentine's Day to all the friends and lovers out there!

Now, I'm not really a fan of Valentine's Day...I'm one of those horrible misers who think it is a stressful, invented holiday devised by card and chocolate companies to increase profit and make all single people feel like sad, lonely losers (you're not!). But I am a fan of love...of what it is, how it feels and what it can create (see photos in my last post for a perfect example). So in the spirit of love itself, I wanted to wish everyone a happy day...let it be a reminder to tell the people you love what they mean to you!

Personally, the day has been a smashing success so far. David and I decided to ratchet the stress and phoniness down a notch this year, agreeing to not exchange gifts, and to instead save the money for a special trip or celebration to honor our love on a day that we decided to, not when Hallmark told us to (alright, alright...I'm off my soapbox!).

But my always thoughtful, quietly romantic husband still found a way to surprise me. He let me sleep in (until 9:30 people...9:30!!), fed and dressed the baby, did the dishes, folded the laundry and made me breakfast. He got Sam down for his morning nap, and we ate on the couch in our pajamas, laughing and watching an old episode of "House." It was effortless and mellow and perfect. No amount of flowers or chocolates he could have purchased would have given me the same feeling...it was lovely.

So here's to love!

No comments: